I finally completed a project that I’ve been wanting for myself for about four years! I have a lot of yarn, notions, etc. Most of it resides in baskets that I got at Home Goods and for the longest time these baskets were stacked one on top of another in a big tower. Since the baskets can be heavy it means I rarely got to go through my yarn stash and work on projects. I asked my dad several times to build me a shelving unit, but it never happened so I finally thought – why not build it myself?
Step one was taking measurements and figuring out dimensions for my unit – overall plus shelves & other details. I drew this rough sketch as my guide (obviously not to scale).
Next I headed out to purchase the wood (pine because apparently it takes stain very nicely) and I brought a knob from my dresser drawer to figure out what shade range I wanted to be in for the wood stain.
The next step was to cut the wood, and for this I asked my dad to cut everything to the measurements I spec’d. Secretly I think he was happy because it gave him an excuse to buy a new table saw (his old one found a new home with my brother). The wood was then sanded and wiped down.
I then stained the wood. Warning: If you do this wearing shorts and a tank you will end up with fake “age spots” from any splatter or drips. It took three weeks and a lot of exfoliating to make them go away. I then applied a coat of polyurethane.
Next step: assembly. Getting closer to a finished unit! Using a nail gun, nothing would take this piece down.
Here are photos of my finished unit and a before/after shot of the baskets stacked versus shelved. I have to take the baskets down soon to add the “feet” on the bottom and may give it another coat of polyurethane while I’m at it. I love the color, but I feel like the finish needs another coat of the polyurethane.
I spec’d the piece with a recessed top so that I could keep another basket or whatever else on top. The basket on top is actually much narrower so it works perfectly to keep my roll of knitting needles, crochet hooks, etc nested behind it. No more lifting numerous baskets; I can access everything by just sliding the baskets out a little! Not bad for a DIY project.
What I’m listening to as I write this post: Conan